Friday, January 9, 2009

Speech Therapy

Well today was the big day. Ian's first speech therapy appt with the school. It went well. He actually 'talked' and wasn't too shy. He usually clams up around other people except for Perry & me. After speech, we went to visit the preschool class that he would be in. He is of course the smallest in the room. But it did make me feel better that I followed my gut as he really isn't ready to be in a class with 3,4,5 & 6 year olds.

Ian just learned to walk at the end of October and really well in November so he has only been walking for 3 months. And he doesn't comprehend that he needs to be still for long periods of time. That is what is sooooo frustrating with the school system, they are 'requiring' him to be an average 3 year old. He is not. He is closer to an 18 month level with his walking and talking. Would you expect an 18 month old to sit still for 30 min to an hour at a time when you just learned to walk. Am I expecting too little of him? I don't think so. He still has to go through all the same developmental stages as all other kids his schedule is just a little behind. Do I doubt he can do what they want. No but just not at this time. He needs a litte more catch up time that 's all.

Oh well got to go now so we can play.

No comments:

Post a Comment