Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bathroom Hiding & Preschool & Speech & More


OK, I've opened our bathroom cabinet to the world now. LOL. Please excuse all the unmentionables in it:) Ian has discovered how much fun it is too hide in the cabinet. He will close the doors and then I have to 'find' him. He has also discovered that he can close the doors and then the drawers look as if they magically opening. Yes I have lost him in the house and found him in the cabinet pushing the drawers open from the back. I have to be careful when's he quiet because he is definitely getting into TROUBLE!!!

Ian went to his last speech appt for this school year yesterday. We also went early so he could sit in on circle time in Mrs. Creel's preschool class. Usually, he justs goes in and couldn't care less if I'm there or not. But of course not yesterday. He was the clingy kid.

I has planned to just drop him off and then go sit in the teacher lounge and wait until after his speech appt. But Mrs. Creel had me stay for a little bit to keep him safe in case he fell out of his chair. I finally left and everything was fine until Ms.Lee came and got him for speech. He saw me and ran up and grabbed my leg saying Momma. I had to take him into speech which he usually will go to without me. I ended up sneaking out of that too and yesterday was fun. It was a little end of year party with juice and snack and Disney.

I like to have the face to face with the speech therapist, especially as she is figuring out everything with him that works and doesn't work. Which I have mentioned but got the look of but you are Mom and I'm the professional and know more than you. So that has been interesting watching her figure out that he doesn't like to sit still and learns more by doing than just sitting and her trying to get him to repeat what she says. Yeah Mom was right what do you know about that.

Sorry, tangent. I do those quite frequently. Anyway, in dropping Ian off for circle time, Mrs. Creel had mentioned talking to Holly, the PT ( who doesn't have a clue and I'm being polite here) For the LP moms, NO she is not allowed to touch Ian. She is only allowerd to observe him and assess his skill progression and let me know what I need to work on with him. I know that I have mentioned the dreaded chair that they put him in. It's up high, he can't get in it by himself, and it has a tray on it that. So yes it is a high chair. They do have it padded to get him to 90/90 sitting but my beef with it is that it is a visual cue that he is a baby. They are saying it is for safety because he is not stable in the trunk and could fall out of the little blue chair that all the other kids sit in and this chair will allow him to reach items. Yeah, how do you know he will fall out of the little blue chair. You haven't given him the opportunity to sit in it and it would be easy to modify with a cushion of some kind and add a foot rest. Of course he can reach items in the high chair, you are going to put them on the tray for him. Perry doesn't understand how this chair makes me feel and I think it is because he hasn't seen it. I had a total breakdown in talking with the PT at his last consult about that d**n chair.

So am I overreacting or not. I don't know. In mentioning it at our district meeting's parent meeting, I got the feel from the other parents that I wasn't. But I don't know. I walk such a tightrope on trying not to be such an overprotective mom( I'm a product of that and know the damage it can cause to your self confidence) but also in having to be protective because of everything we have been through with him and to being his advocate. It's hard to believe that we let him out of the house and let him get dirty now when we would constantly be sanitizing everything and everybody when he came home up until the trach came out. It's amazing how much difference a year makes.

It is hard to believe it has been a year since the trach came out. He went from not walking to walking and now talking. Even harder to believe that he has only been walking for 7 months. His speech is coming on fast. He is such a little parrot. Don't know if the tubes are part of it as he started saying more the week before they went in and hasn't stopped. Hopefully by the time school starts he will be able to talk some sentences. That will take some of the worry off my mind.

Sorry these jump around so much but that's how my mind works. Perry hates having conversations with me as I do the same thing.

So hopefully, lil sister won't make an appearance before his first day of school. I really don't want to miss that and I would like him to maybe get the routine before she arrives. He will going 2 times a week in the morning, Tues & Fri, and will continue to have speech. I'm also going to keep him in his playgym class for one more year. So Ian will have a busy year but hopefully he will handle it and having a new lil sister around (that's another issue in itself)

Thanks for reading this twisting convuluted post. Now you know what's like to be in mind everyday. Scary!!!


1 comment:

  1. I love the picture! Ian is such a cutie getting into everything! LOL! Yes, when they are quiet you have to wonder what they are up to! As far as the chair goes, you are right! That sounds like a highchair to me! I would totally put up a fight about it and push for them to either let him try the other chair with maybe some modifications (super easy to do, I just made a bunch of things for Sonya and posted them on my blog) or tell them they need to provide something else so that the 90/90 seating can be promoted. Sheesh, how frustrating! Yay for being all set for school and talking , talking, talking!!! Is he getting excited about his new baby sister on the way?

    ReplyDelete